1 Cakes & Louie: The Little Things

Thursday, March 28, 2013

The Little Things

Way back when I first started this blog, I used to randomly do posts I titled "The Little Things", which were essentially just a mental dump of things I'd seen or found around the web that I found interesting or inspiring throughout the week. I've had a few "ooh I need to remember that!" moments this week, so here's to bringing this little series back!

Here's what's been catching my eye this week -

- This quick read from Daily Perricone on foods that are great for your skin. I knew about most of these, but it's always a good reminder to re-read the list. And, I've never been a fan of blueberries but am loving them in smoothies lately, so it's nice to see them on the good list!

- My new favorite blog: Thug Kitchen. Cracks me up. Basically, someone takes pretty food pictures, overlays a bunch of really obscene (but true) text over them, and then posts a recipe to go along with it. I kind of think my boss would love it, and I'm totally hooked. Warning: not suitable for those who are opposed to a LOT of profanity.


- Huffington Post's plea to bring the holidays down a notch. I don't even have kids yet and seeing some of the stuff other moms do for their kids on Pinterest already makes me feel insecure about living up to the expectations of going all out for every. little. holiday. This post is a great reminder that it isn't all about goodie bags and perfectly decorated cupcakes all the time.

- This quote has really hit home for me this week as I've thought about where I am overall with my life and where I'd like to be. Something I've always known I wanted to do but was kind of too afraid to try was being on the board for a non-profit. Well, thanks to a great friend that's involved with an awesome organization, I am now the newest advisory board member for a foundation that is committed to finding a cure for cancer - a cause that's very near and dear to me. More on this later, but for now, it's all about taking chances for me!


Time to start making plans for the weekend! I'm heading to dinner with one of my absolute favorite guys (hi Jamie!) on Friday night, going to an art show with a bunch of work friends after that, and spending Easter Sunday with the hubs and his family. I cannot wait for inevitable goofing around with our nieces and lots of ham and mashed potatoes :).

No comments:

Post a Comment