1 Cakes & Louie: The Bigger Picture

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The Bigger Picture


I was sitting in the hospital waiting room yesterday morning - waiting for Dan's surgery to start, waiting for my father in law to get there to keep me company, and waiting for my brother to call and let me know if I'm getting a new niece or nephew in September. I was also stewing about the whole idea of not going to Mexico in two weeks. Overall, I was kind of an anxious mess. Then a surgeon came out to chat with the family next to me and I could tell they weren't getting great news. A few minutes later one of the women with the family walked over next to me to take a phone call and told the person on the other end of the line that whoever it was in surgery that morning had officially been diagnosed with lymphoma.

When I heard that other family talking, I instantly felt guilty and much better all at once. Dan was in surgery to get his tonsils out and have his insanely long uvula shortened. The procedure was barely an hour and a half and he was done, and while he'll have a rough couple of weeks with a very sore throat, he is healthy and well. Don't get me wrong - there's a piece of me that's good and livid about Mexico not happening, but there's a much bigger piece of me that is grateful that a change in vacation plans is the biggest of our worries right now.

image from here

1 comment:

  1. Perspective is everything! Your post made me too realize that I need to stop sweating the little things and be grateful that my dog missing his pee- pad is my biggest worry.

    I hope Dan has a swift recovery! When I got my tonsils a little over 3 years ago it was horrible. I couldn't eat normal food for almost a full 3 months! My biggest tip would be to stay away from anything with salt.

    ReplyDelete